DID YOU KNOW…
Approximately 1,000 eye injuries occur each day in U.S. workplaces.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that eye injuries occurring in the workplace cost more than $467 million dollars a year and 90% of these injuries could be prevented if workers took appropriate safety measures.
WHAT ARE EYE INJURIES?
Any damage to the eye caused by different reasons.
WHAT ARE SOME EYE INJURIES?
- Physical injuries
- Thermal injuries
- Chemical lesions
THE RIGHT EYE PROTECTION
- Eyeglasses, mask and safety mask.
- Welder’s mask, masks with special filters.
- The American National Standard Institute (ANSI) establishes the criteria for safety glasses and safety masks in 1994 and its seal of approval is Z87.2 ANSI which refers to impact protection.
- ANSI standard Z87.1 refers to general eye and face protection including chemical splash protection.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CONJUNCTIVITIS
- Blurred Vision
PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR EYE CARE
- Never point your eyes directly at intense light sources, such as the sun.
- Take care of your blood pressure and blood vessels.
- Intake of adequate amounts of vitamin A and carotenoids. Found in foods such as carrots, eggs, red peppers, among others.
- Try to rest your eyes for a few minutes if you have been staring for several hours.
- Perform a visual acuity test at least once a year.
- Visit an ophthalmologist or health professional.