A study published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology found that adding plants to your home or office helps reduce stress, both psychological and physiological. Plus, they may increase your productivity, as studies have found that people who work surrounded by plants take fewer sick days and get work done on time.
Having the responsibility of caring for plants occupies your mind and combats depression, anxiety, and dementia. Last but not least, having indoor plants helps purify the air.
Here are 5 houseplants you can consider as part of your home, office or bedroom decor:
- Mother-in-Law’s Tongue or snake plant (Dracaena trifasciata) – It is one of the easiest plants to care for. It survives in light or shade and with little water.
- Rubber fig (Ficus elastica) – It gets to grow quite large and its leaves are very curious, since they are thick and shiny.
- Fiddle Leaf (Ficus lyrata) – One of the most popular. With proper care, it grows into a fairly tall tree and is excellent for wide, lighted corners.
- Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum) – Has a wild look and is perfect for placing on surfaces.
- Eternity plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) – Just as the name implies, this plant is everlasting because, like Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, it is very easy to care for.